This is an exercise I have worked out to “Ground”. It can be done at any time of the day and modified to work with virtually any physical activity or even without it. I incorporated the activity in this way to mentally link the physical world to the mental process in a practical way.
It is important to drink water at the beginning to help with the rejuvenation of the body and mind. As the human body is 65% water on average; in the brain, heart and lungs this is considerably higher. It is very important to stay hydrated, especially when doing any physical activity.
Breathing is also very important, as it is a very physical reminder of energy flow and of course an essential way that we replenish oxygen in our bodies. Controlled breathing also helps us to set the pace and be mindful of our surroundings.
Many have put to use visualization techniques of creating an energy ball and worked with energy at different levels, but more at a later time. Picture energy as the path of your thoughts and senses like an electric fire.
In preparation all you will need is access to water for both before and after, as well as a place to walk around, preferably outdoors.
- Drink your glass of water.
- Adjust your breathing so that you are inhaling for roughly three seconds, holding for three, and exhaling for three.
- Picture an empty ball of energy in front of you like the energy is flowing from your hands, merely to hold the shape in your mind.
- Your walk should be planned to take no more than 15 minutes.
- It is time to begin your walk or other activity, continue to breath and hold the shape of the ball.
- What I want you to pay attention to is everything that you can observe with your five physical senses.
- The sights
- The smells
- The tastes in your mouth
- The sounds you hear
- The temperature and sensations you feel
- When you notice these things occurring let them float in your mind and then let them drift out of focus.
- When you notice other thoughts, let them move down to your hands and into the ball, letting it get heavier and more dense as you walk.
- When you return from your walk, get your other glass of water.
- As you drink your water; picture it washing the ball clean again and all those thoughts drifting in the current down your earthing cord and into the earth until the energy ball is completely gone. Feel the weight lifted off of you as this happens.
Special thanks to Errin for helping me work out the visualization.
@copyright Jason J. Walton